Semester abroad outside Europe

Semester abroad outside Europe - Studying worldwide

As a so-called free mover, you can spend a semester abroad anywhere in the world. Below you will find some information and tips on how to organise your stay.

The worldwide international contacts that exist at the Faculty Spatial and Environmental Planning can help with the organisation. A list of international contacts can be found here.

Arranging and funding stays abroad worldwide


IEC is a free information and application service for studying abroad in Canada, the USA, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Spain and the UK. IEC is the official representative of numerous universities in these countries and has been active in counselling since 2001.


College-Contact can help you with your plans to study abroad at well over one hundred universities in 25 countries. The services are free of charge for you.

Institut Ranke-Heinemann

The Ranke-Heinemann Studienstiftung, whose roots go back to 1969, is dedicated to promoting study visits Down Under as well as expanding academic relations between Australia/New Zealand and Germany/Austria. A large number of scholarship programmes are regularly offered through its endowment fund. 

The grants include the payment of tuition fees for particularly talented students as well as subsidies for flights and living expenses. In addition, scholarships are offered for the completion of language diplomas (including TOEFL and IELTS).

On the DAAD website you will find overviews of "Study programmes abroad" and "International study programmes". 


The DAAD awards annual scholarships to particularly high-achieving students for self-organised study abroad. However, it should be noted that the subject and language requirements for a DAAD scholarship are very high.It has a scholarship database as well.

Further information can be found here and at theDepartment of International Affairs.


Another option for studying abroad is PROMOS. You can find more information at the Department International Affairs.

You can find out about scholarships abroad from the Initiative for Transparent Study Funding. Further information can be found here.

Otto A. Wipprecht-Stiftung: Residency scholarships

The Otto A. Wipprecht-Stiftung awards scholarships. In the current funding period, both male and female persons can be funded, including stays that are not planned for the USA. The Otto A. Wipprecht Foundation pays US$ 1,000 per month for the period of the sponsored study visit as well as a one-off travel allowance of EUR 770; all costs in excess of this must be borne by the student. See more information here.

Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes

The Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes supports various projects abroad (studies, internships, excursions, etc.). It also offers a range of open scholarship programs with external partners.


Statutory grants such as BAföG can also provide financial support for your studies abroad under certain circumstances, even if you are not eligible for any in Germany.The reason for this is the higher costs of studying abroad. However, if you are already receiving BAföG in Germany, you cannot simply take this with you abroad. Special local authorities are responsible for BAföG abroad. If you meet the eligibility requirements, you have a legal entitlement in accordance with § 5 BAföG, § 16 BAföG. Further information can be found here.

Studyportals Scholarships

Studyportals is an international scholarship search where you can find programs worldwide.

Fulbright-Kommission: Travel grants

The Fulbright Commission awards travel grants for the USA to full-time students in Master's and doctoral programs. The funding is for a study stay of at least 6 to 9 months at the US host university, beginning with the American "Fall Term" in August/September. Please refer to the Fulbright homepage for information on the exact application guidelines and the documents required for the application. The application deadlines for the travel grants usually end in January or February.


GOstralia!-GOmerica! is a representative of various foreign universities in Germany and a point of contact for those interested in studying or taking a language course. The partner universities are located in the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam. The services are free of charge for you.

Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes: China-Stipendien-Programm

The scholarship from the Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes supports a one-year stay in the People's Republic of China. The aim is to enable interested students to acquire a sound knowledge of China at an early stage. In preparation, you will take part in two three-week courses and not only learn modern Chinese, but also acquire knowledge of the country and gain an insight into calligraphy and Taiji. Further information can be found here.


I have been allocated a free mover pitch, what happens next?

As soon as you have successfully made contact with a university, you should clarify with the department's international coordinator (Prof. Karina Pallagst) and the recognition coordinator for courses completed abroad (Jonas Pauly) whether the courses you wish to take abroad will be recognised in your faculty. Contact details can be found below.

If you have any further questions on the subject of "Free Mover", please contact the  Department of International Affairs


International Coordinator Faculty Spatial and Environmental Planning

Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Karina M. Pallagst 
Building 3, Room 125 
tel: +49 (0)631 205 5155 
email: karina.pallagst(at)



ERASMUS+ Outgoing

M.A. Cornelia Noll
Departement of International Affairs
Building 47, Room 626
tel: +49 (0)631 205 4914
email: cornelia.noll(at)

ERASMUS+ Coordinator Faculty Spatial and Environmental Planning

M.Sc. Jonas Pauly
Building 3, Room 123
tel: +49 (0) 631 205 4324
email: jonas.pauly(at)

Studying abroad outside the EU, DAAD, Erasmus+ Incoming

Nina Islekyay
Departement of International Affairs
Building 47, Room 626
tel: +49 (0)631 205 4370
email: nina.islekyay(at)